Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lake Powell

Just the Two of Us...
and 8 other couples!

Ty and I just got back from a wonderful trip to LAKE POWELL. We went with some friends from our ward... what a blast! In 5 days we played about as much as possible! Surfing, airchair, wakeboarding, waterskiing, kyacking, hiking, and a zipline.

Above is Ty and I wake boarding together.

Here is Ty surfing. This is my new FAVORITE WATER SPORT! If you haven't done it... they weigh down one side of the boat to get an extra large wake. Then you surf about 2 feet from the boat. You've got to try this. :)

Below is Ty doing a flip wake boarding. I think he is pretty amazing at everything... this is proof!
Ty clearing the wake and looking HOT!


Ty skiing. Is there anything he can't do?! This post must be my tribute to my amazing husband. Sorry if you're feeling sick.


Me skiing. I look like a beginner in this picture.

On our hike...


Mackin' under the waterfall!


I was a little nervous what was about to swim up my shorts.


All the girls together

Left to right: Wendy, Tandum, Michelle, Erika, Annie, Stacey, Mandy, Me, Stacey E.



Ty and I on the boat.


With all of this playing... we also had a zip line that ran across the water. The boys had played on it all week. I have never loved zip lines, but end up doing them anyway due to peer pressure. So on the last day some of the girls decided to try it. If you know me, I'm too competitive to not do it.... So we all hiked up the cliff to try it out. Some guys jumped and made it look so easy. I decided to use the zip line to get down. (It looked safer) The first girl went, then the second girl went and her hands slipped and she fell 70 feet on her face! It scared me so bad I didn't want to go any more. Two more girls went and they were just fine. So when it was my turn I thought nothing would go wrong. I was scared to death and told Ty I didn't want to do it. He proceeded to tell me that he's never seen me back down to anything. Everyone (including an extra house boat with a video camera) was cheering "GO!" They counted down 3-2-1-GO so I pushed off the edge trying to clear the rocks below. Just as I thought "phew I made it..." my hands slipped off the handle and I began to fall the 70 feet onto my back. I thought I had broken my back for sure! Once I came up for air I had knocked the wind out of me so bad I was wheezing for air. It felt like forever until I could actually breath. They put me on the boat to let the Doctor's on the house boat check me out. It hurt to breath pretty bad. They said I looked okay so we went back to the house boat. I didn't feel okay! Ty and Shaun Beckstrom gave me a priesthood blessing. During the blessing I suddenly felt calm and that everything would be alright. After a little nap I was up walking around. I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood, and to know that where ever we are Heavenly Father is there for us. To make an even longer story short... I just bruised my ribs, back, arms, and head. I am doing great! I know that things could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the priesthood blessing Ty gave me. I've gained an even greater love for my husband. Not only is he amazing at everything he does, but most of all he is amazing because he is worthy to carry and administer the priesthood. Thanks hun! I will always love you!

P.S. The other girl was okay too. She has a black eye with bruised thighs, but no serious damage thank goodness!



P.S.S. There is a video of me falling, but they haven't emailed it yet... so I will post it when I get it. :)

9 comments:

Matt and Sarah said...

I am so glad you two got away on this trip! How fun! You are both pretty amazing at every thing you do! If I would have tried to kiss Matt while we were both on wake boards we probably both would have ended up in the hospital! In fact...come to think of it I don't think Matt has ever been able to try water sports. I will have to get him out there sometime. Anyway...I am glad you are ok! And I am grateful for the priesthood too! That darn peer pressure! I have learned some rough lessons from it too! About the baby shower. We are still on! If you two aren't too busy. I do need to let you know Matt and I will gone the weekend of the 10th and 11th on our anniversary trip. Other than that I am pretty much open! They are thinking the baby could come early so the last weekend in July might be out too. So you and your mom talk and let me know what works for you! Love you! Take care!
Sarah

Shane and Kenzie said...

Looks like you guys had fun besides the terrible fall! We're so glad that everything is okay... By the way, Shane and I are going to bring over some new easter grass seeds for you! :)

Ashley said...

Fun trip. I am jealous you went on a trip with all those friends. We want to go to Lake Powell next summer. I am glad you and that other girl are ok. I can't believe you fell from that far. So scary!

Annie Miller said...

I hope you are feeling better! Found you blog through google :) I will attach it to the Lake Powell blog. You'll have to see what I did with the wakeboard kissing pic. You will love it!

Moey and Spence said...

That looks like you had so much fun!!! It is a good thing you wrote that was Ty with you in the first picture I was a little concerned:) Anytime you would like we would enjoy a visit. I don't get out too much these days two babies is quite the effort to go anywhere.

Taylor Family said...

I am glad you had fun and you weren't hurt too bad. I am jealous. We just went to Lake Meade with Clint' family but I think that kind of a trip would be way more fun without kids.

just dandee said...

That's my crazy sister. I am still waiting to see that video!

Salty Incisor said...

how awesome that first picture where you guys got close enough for a smooch and still live to tell about it!

Frayer Family said...

Melanie,
You are amazing!! Much braver than me!!! I would have screamed the whole way down!!! Ahhhhh! Man! I look forward to seeing you at the reunion! Love ya!

Our Favorites...


Music